The pre-Halloween weather monster that forecasters are calling “Frankenstorm” is headed for the East Coast next week. Are you prepared for Hurricane Sandy? Here are some apps to help you plan ahead and be safe:
· The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has created an all-inclusive disaster preparedness app. After downloading, users can access detailed information on how to stay safe in a disaster, create an emergency kit checklist, and find a map with FEMA Disaster Recovery Center locations.
· The WeatherBug Protect app detects conditions in a user’s exact location and automatically generates alerts so a user can decide whether to vacate the area or take other precautions.
· In case of an emergency situation, the American Red Cross First Aid app can provide step-by-step guides to handling everything from cuts to broken bones.
By turning your smartphone into emergency-ready devices, you can proactively prepare to protect yourself and your loved ones.
This Halloween we have a few tech-safety tools and applications that parents can use to make sure their little ghouls and goblins are building lasting Halloween memories and staying safe. Parents can now, from their smartphones, keep their children safe without joining them door-to-door or worrying from home.
Safe and Fun Trick-or-Treat Tech Tips:
- Get an early start on your trick-or-treating route and plan your path with VZ Navigator. VZ Navigator tells you where you are and what’s nearby, providing turn-by-turn directions.
- Still not sure about your Halloween Costume? Use one of the several costume idea apps like 100+ Halloween Costumes that help you with homemade costume ideas or deals in stores.
- To help make sure your children are staying together use Verizon Wireless Family Locator. You can locate multiple family members at the same time and send messages. It provides you with detailed location information and updates on their whereabouts.
- Make sure your trick-or-treaters path is illuminated and download a flashlight app to their phones. Some apps even offer a strobe light function to keep it fun.
Visit Pelham Patch for more tips and tricks: http://pelham.patch.com/articles/halloween-tips-and-apps-from-verizon-wireless
- Not sure if the weather is going to end the trick or treating night early? Download the Weather Channel app and keep a close watch.